Teachers College REACH: Expanded Learning Opportunities Tutor
Job no: 501878
Position type: College Work Study, Student
Location: New York
Through its Office of School and Community Partnerships, Teachers College, Columbia University has launched the Raising Educational Achievement Coalition of Harlem (REACH), which is a university-assisted, community school initiative that is being implemented in five traditional public schools in Harlem. REACH's mission is to increase students' comprehensive educational opportunity through a set of coherent and strategic actions that better support their academic achievements and social-emotional development.
The Tutor, working in collaboration with the Expanded Learning Opportunities Associate, will develop will develop and implement a high-quality tutorials for students (small groups of approximately 5-15) at our partner public schools in Harlem to help remediate and/or enrich their academic performance in targeted areas. Available positions include: secondary (6th – 12th) math, high school literacy/writing, and high school social studies.
This position reports directly to the Expanded Learning Opportunities Associate. It spans across two semesters, from September 2017 through May 2018. The 4-8 hour per week schedule requires work at school sites 2-4 times a week for a total of at least four hours with an additional hour for activity planning, progress meetings with teachers, and program meetings as needed. Consequently, applicants must be available at least two afternoons between 11:00 AM – 3:30 PM for lunch time school day support. Exact schedules will be determined in early- to mid-September.
- Work independently and/or collaboratively to develop and/or adapt, implement and refine tutorial sessions for the assigned area from an established framework for students at our partner schools.
- Routinely document and use student assessment data, work samples, and observations of student progress to make timely and intentional decisions about how to refine tutorial activities to further student learning in the targeted area.
- Regularly document student work samples and performance data to inform instructional decision-making as well as to share student progress with appropriate stakeholders
- Participate in conversations with the ELO Associate that include but are not limited to observational feedback, document feedback, workshops, sessions and coaching
- Must be a student matriculated in a TC degree program who is registered for at least 6 credits (or equivalent, which includes full-time equivalent offerings - HBSK 6480, CCPJ 6480, CCPX 6480, or any 8900 course). Full-time TC employees are not eligible for this position.
- Must have experience in an instructional setting with students in K-12.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience developing and implementing curricula and/or high-quality afterschool/expanded learning activities that use a thematic and/or project based approach and integrate service learning
- Demonstrated skills and abilities to exercise professional judgment, work independently and show initiative.
- Demonstrated organizational, interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to clearly articulate concepts in writing and orally.
- Strong collaboration skills as evidenced by ability to build positive relationships and work as part of a team with a strong initiative to drive forward project goals while demonstrating respect and humility.
- Passionate commitment to expanding opportunities for low-income students and students of color.
Interested students should submit a resume or CV and a cover letter to Robin Blanc at firstname.lastname@example.org. The cover letter should address your personal philosophy on expanding opportunities for underserved student populations, as well as your fit for the position. Please specify what content area and age group you are interested in working with. Completed applications will be reviewed by the Department and candidates who best meet the requirements will be contact for an interview. Candidates not selected for an interview will not be notified but the application will remain active until the end of the term.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend