Teachers College REACH: Dance Club Leader
Job no: 501873
Position type: College Work Study, Student
Location: New York
Through its Office of School and Community Partnerships, Teachers College, Columbia University has launched the Raising Educational Achievement Coalition of Harlem (REACH), which is a university-assisted, community school initiative that is being implemented in five traditional public schools in Harlem. REACH's mission is to increase students' comprehensive educational opportunity through a set of coherent and strategic actions that better support their academic achievements and social-emotional development.
The Dance Club Leader, working in collaboration with the Expanded Learning Opportunities Associate, will develop and implement a high-quality dance program for secondary school students (small groups of approximately 5-15) at our partner public schools in Harlem.
This position reports directly to the Expanded Learning Opportunities Associate. It spans across two semesters, from September 2017 through May 2018. The 3-hour per week schedule requires work at school sites 2 times a week for a total of at least two hours with an additional hour for activity planning, student recruitment, and program meetings as needed. Consequently, applicants must be available at least three afternoons (11:30 AM – 1:00 PM) during the school day. Exact schedules will be determined in early- to mid-September.
- Work independently and/or collaboratively to develop, implement, and refine weekly dance club sessions.
- Through these sessions, work with students to introduce and cultivate their skills in a variety of dance styles including step, hip-hop, and African dance.
- Support students in choreographing dances to perform at school and REACH showcases/events.
Routinely use observations of student progress around the dance skills to make timely and intentional decisions about how to refine instruction to further student learning of the dance skills.
- Work with the ELO Coordinator and Community School Director to recruit and retain regular club members
- Provide quarterly progress reports summarizing group and student progress
- Collaborate with students, ELO Associate, and ELO Coordinator to prepare work for the Winter and Spring REACH showcases; support the implementation of the showcase
Participate in conversations with the ELO Associate that include but are not limited to observational feedback, document feedback, workshops, sessions and coaching.
- Must be a student matriculated in a TC degree program who is registered for at least 6 credits (or equivalent, which includes full-time equivalent offerings - HBSK 6480, CCPJ 6480, CCPX 6480, or any 8900 course). Full-time TC employees are not eligible for this position.
Must have experience in an instructional setting with students in K-12. Experience with after-school or non-traditional dance education highly preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience developing and implementing curricula and/or high-quality afterschool/expanded learning activities that use a thematic and/or project based approach and integrate service learning
- Demonstrated skills and abilities to exercise professional judgment, work independently and show initiative.
Demonstrated organizational, interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to clearly articulate concepts in writing and orally.
- Strong collaboration skills as evidenced by ability to build positive relationships and work as part of a team with a strong initiative to drive forward project goals while demonstrating respect and humility.
- Passionate commitment to expanding opportunities for low-income students and students of color.
Interested students should submit a resume or CV and a cover letter to Robin Blanc at email@example.com. The cover letter should address your personal philosophy on expanding opportunities for underserved student populations, as well as your fit for the position. Please specify what content area and age group you are interested in working with. Completed applications will be reviewed by the Department and candidates who best meet the requirements will be contact for an interview. Candidates not selected for an interview will not be notified but the application will remain active until the end of the term.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend