The Office of School and Community Partnerships (OSCP) leverages faculty and student expertise, research, teaching and service to enrich learning and improve outcomes in New York City public schools, especially those in the local community. A major initiative of OSCP is the development of Teachers College Community School (TCCS), which was established by Teachers College and the New York City Department of Education as a non-selective, public, demonstration PreK-8 school with a formal affiliation with TC. Opened in 2011, the school now serves pre-Kindergarten through fifth grades. TCCS is located at 168 Morningside Avenue, a short walk from the College. For more details, visit:
TCCS is seeking multiple work study students to assist with after school enrichment clubs, school-day music classes, as well as lunch/recess duty. Positions are available starting September 7, 2017 through June 2018. A commitment for the full academic year is required. In addition to the responsibilities outlined below, all TCCS work study assistants must attend professional development opportunities offered by the TCCS Liaison and will meet with the TCCS Liaison on a regular basis to discuss student progress and trouble shoot challenges.
AFTER SCHOOL GROUP LEADERS (3-6 hours/week)
A minimum of 12 student assistants are needed to support after school activities taking place on Mondays and Wednesdays. Responsibilities include:
• lead groups of 10-20 students through all after school activities
• assist enrichment club instructors with attendance records, set up/clean up and instruction
• ensure that students adhere to behavior expectations of the after school program
• monitor students during supper, transitions and dismissal
• help lead movement activities for students.
To be considered for this position, candidates must be available to work on Mondays and/or Wednesdays between 2:45 and 5pm from September 25, 2017 through May 11, 2018.
LUNCH/RECESS AND MUSIC ASSISTANTS (2-8 hours/week)
A minimum of 2 students assistants are needed throughout the NYC DOE school year (September 7, 2017 through June 2018) to serve as classroom assistants during music classes (grades pre-K through sixth) and to monitor and manage TCCS students in grades Kindergarten through fifth during lunch period, which extends from 10:55am until 12:30pm.
• assist with instruction during music classes
• encourage students to choose healthy meal options and assist them during lunch as needed
• monitor students and manage behavior in the cafeteria, during recess or bathroom breaks.
To be considered for this position, candidates must be available to work during school day hours (8:30am to 2:55pm) from September 7, 2017 through May or June of 2018.
• Must have experience in an instructional setting with students in K-12
• Strong collaboration skills as evidenced by ability to build positive relationships and work as part of a team with a strong initiative to drive forward project goals while demonstrating respect and humility
• Demonstrated organizational, interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to clearly articulate concepts in writing and orally
• Demonstrated skills and abilities to exercise professional judgment, work independently and show initiative
• Passionate commitment to expanding opportunities for one of the most diverse school communities in Harlem
• Must have been awarded federal work-study for the term in which a work-study position is being sought
• Must be a student matriculated in a TC degree program
• Must be taking at least 6 credits (or equivalent, which includes full-time equivalent offerings - HBSK 6480, CCPJ 6480, CCPX 6480, or any 8900 course)
• Full-time TC employees are not eligible for this position
• Must be able to abide by the Student Confidentiality Agreement
• Must be able to abide by the Student Privacy Requirements
Interested students should apply by sending a resume and cover letter to Audrey Cox at firstname.lastname@example.org . Completed applications will be reviewed by the Department and candidates who best meet the requirements will be contacted for an interview. Candidates not selected for an interview will not be notified but the application will remain active until the end of the term.