Job no: 500421
Position type: Staff
Location: New York
Categories: Communications/Public Relations/Marketing, Engineering/Computer Science, Publishing/Press, Other
The Community College Research Center (CCRC) at Teachers College, Columbia University—an interdisciplinary research organization focused on issues of college readiness, access and success, and community college institutional reform—seeks a full-time graphic designer to help communicate our findings to researchers, policymakers, and practitioners through high-quality print and web design. Specific duties include refreshing the look of our publications so they resonate with key audiences, translating research findings into infographics, and developing design concepts for the Center’s website. The ability to understand qualitative and quantitative social science research findings and accurately render them in visually appealing ways is essential. The position reports to both to the Center’s Managing Editor and its Senior Editor and Web Specialist.
Please include resume, cover letter, and portfolio with application.
• Design and deliver digital and print materials that are consistent with the Center’s brand identity, including research reports, briefs, newsletters, advertisements, brochures and fact sheets, static and interactive infographics, PowerPoint presentations, posters, email campaigns, and social media graphics.
• Identify ways to improve the mobile and desktop experiences on the Center’s website, working with communications staff and external developers to guide changes.
• Work with the editorial and communications team to shape the overall communications vision for the Center.
• Propose ways that graphics can augment the presentation of the Center’s work across platforms.
• Partner with researchers to develop evidence-based products that make research findings accessible to a nonacademic audience.
• Provide graphic design support to other teams, including researchers and administrative staff.
• Assist research, administrative, and communications staff with other project-related and editorial tasks.
• Bachelor’s degree.
• One year of related experience.
• A strong portfolio.
• Expert knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, especially InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop.
• Proficiency with Microsoft PowerPoint, Excel, and Word.
• Basic to intermediate proficiency in HTML and CSS.
• Ability to translate complex data into visuals that are accessible to a nontechnical audience.
• Ability to contribute to the creative and strategic vision for the Center’s communications.
• Willingness to both take initiative and function as a team player.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Excellent organizational skills.
• Keen attention to detail.
• Three or more years of experience in graphic design.
• Demonstrated ability to prioritize projects and deliver high-quality work under deadline.
• Data visualization experience using Tableau or similar software.
• Experience in Joomla and WordPress.
• Experience designing content for Facebook, Twitter, and other social media.
• Video editing and video graphics experience.
• Digital animation skills.
• Drawing/illustration skills.
• Interest in community colleges, higher education, and issues of access to and success in postsecondary education.
• Familiarity with qualitative and quantitative social science research writing.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend